Saturday 9 November 2013

Imagine

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one



As I write this article people all over the world are getting ready to mark Remembrance Day in a couple of days’ time.  Remembrance Day was instituted to remember the sacrifices of the many young men who gave their lives for their country during the First World War, which ended on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918.  Nowadays it is extended to remember all who have sacrificed their lives for their country in war, both men and women.

During the 2 minutes silence at 11 am on the 11th of November this year I will be imagining something John Lennon and Yoko Ono imagined early in 1971.  A world without war.  Or to put it in a more correct, affirmative way, a world filled with peace.  This is something I have always done on Remembrance Day since I was a child.

I do not imagine a world without religion though.  Religion has its place.  As long as it is not divisive.  It was the divisiveness of man-corrupted religion that made Lennon and Ono want to throw it away.  As Lennon himself said, he wanted a world “without this my-God-is-bigger-than-your-God thing”.  I imagine a world at peace, where we each seek the Truth in our own way, some of us by following a particular religion and others finding that Truth in a different way.  All of us recognizing and respecting the differences between us.

Nor do I imagine a world without possessions.  I believe the Universe wants all of us to enjoy the possessions we have and to provide us with even more.  It is simply not true that there is a limit on those possessions and that if I possess something it means someone else cannot possess what they want or need.  So there is nothing immoral about wanting more and going out and getting it.  But I also believe we are intended to use those possessions for good, using them to help all those around us.  In that sense my thinking is perhaps not so far apart from John Lennon’s as it might at first seem.

Probably most of you reading this believe in the immense power of visualization.  I certainly do.  If you do believe in this power, or even if you are not sure but are prepared to agree it may exist, and if you believe a world at peace is much preferable to a world at war, I would ask you to join me in a 2 minute visualization for peace.  Visualize everyone, regardless of country, race or religion, working together, living together in peace, being happy together.  Let us all do this visualization together for 2 minutes at 11:00 am on the 11th November, this year, next year, and every year.


Imagine the power of that visualization!  Let’s do it!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your ideas Graham. I read them with interest. Let‘s give peace a chance ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your offer music VIDEO,
    Hard to imagine that after World War I brought you this song related things when I am searching for the history, the starting point is to
    Learn ago What happened to the financial markets, and later how, I can not imagine no heaven in the future, even now in trouble, heaven is our greatest hope, goodness brings goodness and God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Graham, I saw the John Lennon story on his background of growing up, and how he got into music,sadly his life was nothing short of tragic ,his anti had to bring him up as his mum and dad were separated and his dad wanted to move to New Zealand ,his mother was hit and killed by a motor vehicle, and he did not know his step sister even existed ,so I am not surprised under the circumstances he died,but we all need peace in our lives, and that is what he sang about --------- Cheers Cheryl from Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Graham, it was wonderful, I am a Mexican teacher, and asked my junior high students to remain silent for two minutes.... It was awesome!!! Thank you for all your sharing, it makes our lives much fulfillling!!!!

    ReplyDelete