Wednesday 6 May 2015

As Above So Below


No, I am not talking here about the film of that name.  I am referring to a phrase in the Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus, the father of hermetic or occult philosophy.

Here is the translation of that section of the Emerald Tablet as given by Isaac Newton (yes, the same Newton who gave us the laws of motion and an understanding of the law of gravity):

"That which is below is like that which is above & that which is above is like that which is below to do the miracles of one only thing."

One idea arising from this ancient phrase is that by making changes in yourself, in your mind and spirit, you can cause similar changes in the entire universe.  A heady and powerful concept!

This concept is the basis of astrology, ceremonial magic and alchemy, and for that reason has been rejected by many modern thinkers.  Personally I do believe in all three disciplines, although not in the way in which they are commonly presented (especially the case with astrology).  However, it is not at all necessary to believe in any of these disciplines to believe in the power of "as above, so below".

This concept shows you why personal development can be so important.  It is not just something that helps you have a better life, although clearly it does that, but also means you are literally making the world a better place.  How so?  Well as you make changes in yourself those changes become reflected in the world around you ("that which is above is like that which is below").  Those changes in the world around you then reflect in subtle but definite changes in other people ("that which is below is like that which is above").

This is the entire basis of the work a good ceremonial magician does. However, it is not necessary to believe in any mystical forces or the power of ceremonial magic to accept this principle.  Again, I DO believe in mystical forces, but even if you have no such beliefs you should still be able to accept some aspects of "as above, so below".  By changing yourself for the better you cannot but help to make things better for those around you, even if only by a small degree.

Within the Tablet there is a clue as to the way in which you can bring the power of the Universe into your daily life.  It says:

"It ascends from the earth to the heaven & again it descends to the earth & receives the force of things superior & inferior."

This is something I use in visualization and in other techniques to work improvements in myself and in the world around me.  I have referred to this in earlier articles, giving you a very solid clue how to work this magic in your life.

Here is the exact technique I use.  I begin by centring my mind and spirit.  I then "move" them upwards.  Whether you believe there is real or imagined movement upwards is actually irrelevant.  Personally I believe it is more allegorical than actual.  As they move upwards they merge with the Light that is at the centre of the Universe.  This is my "ascent from the earth to the heaven".  I then come back into my centre, but bringing that Light with me, "descending to the earth".  I now move this centred force into the centre of the world, become one with the world, and bring this oneness back to my own centre.  Now I expand it from my centre so my awareness encompasses the entire universe.  At this point I use this Universal power to achieve whatever it is I am trying to achieve at this time, be it a healing, an affirmation, etc.  I am "receiving the force of things superior & inferior".

Try it, and I believe you will surprise yourself with just how powerful a technique this can be.  It will be putting you in touch with a power that has no limitations whatsoever and which can achieve whatever you may wish to achieve provided you use it in the right way.




No comments:

Post a Comment